The Gallery was built in 1904 to display much of the collection of paintings and sculptures by the artist GF Watts. Funding is in place for a £4.5m project.
The project includes the installation of two lifts, M&E services and new drainage to preserve the collection, to enable free access, and to permit top quality presentation to visitors. A key priority is to preserve character while achieving high environmental standards. Additional accommodation is under construction together with strengthening of the roof to the man gallery to support a new roof light.
Adrian Cox Associates have assessed the existing buildings and designed the new work and drainage. One particular aspect of ACA's work has involved investigating how the gesso model of Physical Energy may be safely moved outside on its rails, GF Watts regularly did this so that he could observe his sculpture at a distance. We have worked closely with the Curator, Conservator, Caretaker and X-Ray Specialist.